Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Tribute to Someone whose name I do not know

I don't know your name, and I might never have the chance to find out.
After all, barely five words were exchanged between us.
You left before I knew you were leaving,
and who knows if we will ever play together again?

Is it sheer physical proximity
that caused me to listen to what you play?
Is it because I see a part of you in me
that I tried to put myself in your shoes?
I witness and I am aware of, the efforts that you put in.
I hear and I can relate to, the music which you play.
I observe and I took note, the skill with which you arranged your parts.

How can I fault the hand which holds the baton, when adroit players themselves have failed to see what you had realized?
How can I blame the tongues which wag, when they are accustomed to what they have chosen to hear?
How can I shake my own head. when I myself have elected to remain silent?

It might have been a relief to you, a chance for you to get out of the mess.
It might have been a blow to you, a setback which you would never recover from.
Your feelings I will never know, just like I will never know your name.
And you will never know, because I never had the courage to tell you.

No comments: