Thursday, September 21, 2006

Of Coughs, Sore Throats and Husky Voices

That's the theme of the month.

It started with Kit Chan's lacklustre performance at Forbidden City. Her valiant and blood-curdling shouts of "TONG ZHI!" (which I sometimes still hear in the middle of the night) from three years ago was nowhere to be found, and some of the newer members of the cast obviously sing much better than her. Well, one could detect a tinge of roughness in her voice that night, and I guess she just wasn't on form. Not that I blame her or that I am not supporting local artistes, but one must give credit where it is due(fundamnetal principal of marking) and not belittle the efforts of the other artistes.

Then my GP rep from A02 got herself infected with tuberculosis and was out of action from school. Poor girl...all the coughing out blood and medicine and everything, and so close to the promos too. I myself had vivid memories of falling sick during exam time. I distinctly remember that I studied for O Level Chemistry sitting beside the toilet bowl, ready at any time to vomit the entire contents of my stomach out. I also recall getting dengue fever during my Year 2 July Common Tests, and I was so bored that I had to study boring Physics stuff like the duality nature of light and photoelectric effect while lying on the hospital bed.

And now I'm down with this terrible sore throat which compromises my ability to talk in class(which might be cause for rejoice for my students.. I remember Luke's disappointed look when he was unable to "switch me off" with the air-con remote.). Nowadays I punctuate my sentences with fits of cough and bouts of throat clearing. It's getting to the point where I feel my vocal cords strained and sore after 11 periods of teaching today. (YESH I have a monstrous 11 periods on Thursdays.) Apparently Leonard lost his voice entirely and had to resort to this gadget which pronounces his words as he writes them..freaked me out! Don't let that happen to me! Well it's good that the Promos are here and I'll just be marking instead of using my voice (except for the inevitable quarreling and arguing in stinking Innovation Room 2 as we mark and standardize and moderate.)

Speaking of that, all the best to my students from S23, S18, A02 and S24! It's tough, but be there for each other..we're in this together! Give yourself no reasons for regret. Hang in for the final stretch.......erm..before PW * groan *

No comments: