Monday, January 23, 2006

Snow, public baths, calpis and nigiri(part 2)

I was interrupted in my last entry because the NIE computer was threatening to shut down on me. I had to abruptly end my post, as a result I didn't even mention anything about public baths, calpis and nigiri which were prominently displayed on my title, resulting in some of my friends losing a few more strands of hair because of the head-scratching.. tsk tsk...

Basically public baths, calpis and nigiri are what I missed most about everyday life in Japan, and I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I suppose what public baths are is pretty self-explanatory. Calpis is, ahem, * JIAHUI SCREAMS * this refreshing drink commonly found in convenience stores all over Japan. It is kind of like Yakult but much more watery. Unfortuantely the word Calpis is frqeuently accompanied with suppressed giggles because it is the euphemism used by Japanese schoolboys for some kind of body fluid...The drink is milky white in colour..enough said.

Nigiri is Japanese rice balls. (饭团)There is usually some kind of stuffing inside, ranging from mayonnaise chicken, plum, tuna to other more exotic Japanese ingredients which I cannot identify, and wrapped in delicious crispy seaweed. It is convenient to eat and readily available in any convenience stores. The package is very unique: the seaweed is separated from the rice to maintain its crispness and freshness, and there is a special way of opening the package so that the whole nigiri does not come apart. The first time I bought one I just ripped open the package callously without reading the instructions (hmmm...reminds me of the time I ripped open the McDonald's Grilled Chicken Foldover.. * Calbin nods in agreement * ) ..as a result the seaweed was torn apart and I was eating the rice separately from the seaweed. Ingenuous innovation I must say.

Sadly nigiri and Calpis are not commonly available in Singapore. I was so desperate for Calpis that last week I went all the way to the Japanese supermarket in Liang court to hunt for it. They cost a horrifying $4 per bottle (about same size as a small bottle of mineral water), whereas it only costs 120 yen or so(around $1.80) in Japan(who says prices are high in Japan?? =p) There is a cheaper $2 version...but the taste is so vile it left an unremovable aftertaste in my mouth for hours. The $2 version is called Calpiso..must be a cheong brand! So sad. I am deprived of a basic necessity!

Okay, my time is up again. Hmm nowadays I am always blogging in NIE Computer Lab when I have one of those terrible 4-hour break in between lessons..... =(

No comments: