Thursday, May 09, 2013

I was wrong in my earlier post entitled "Nothing is more SOAS than this" - THIS is even more SOAS!!


Last month I talked about the disastrous picture, on exhibition in the SOAS Library, which was accused of being ethnocentric and conforming to Western exploitative view of coloured people. The whole incident became even more dramatic and began to caught the media's attention. And here you are - three SOAS undergraduates decided to show everyone what SOAS is about by putting up their own satirical response (taken at the SOAS rooftop Japanese garden before being photoshopped). They win my undying admiration.

I am extremely proud that I am a SOASian. It is sliding down the university ranking charts. It is struggling to attract the brightest talents who make a beeline for Oxford and Cambridge. Its administration is one of the worst I have ever encountered. There are so many occasions where you will roll your eyes at the overwhelming stupidity of some people. But I am proud of the beliefs that we stand for and the shared interest and common belief that we hold in this special institution (although our views can be disparate and vary extremely). Maybe this sheds some light on why I am not particularly proud about Singapore (see previous post).

No comments: